- This was an all-weather, enclosed car designed for in-town use
- 1908 was the only year this model and body style were offered.
- This model used both acetylene gas and oil lamps for lighting.
- The oil lights were removable and could be carried to illuminate the path to the house or office.
The first Franklin engine in 1903 developed 7 hp. The ensuing years saw the engine horsepower increase to 10 hp, then 12 hp. Much of this rise in power was due to better construction and the addition of an auxiliary exhaust system. By the use of a new concentric valve and dome-head cylinders, horsepower was increased to 16 for the 1908 Franklin Model G.
The Model G Brougham was built as an all-weather car for in-town use. The short wheelbase gave ease of control in what was then considered heavy town traffic. The only year of production for the Model G Brougham was 1908 even though Franklin advertisements of this era stressed the fact that the easy handling and graceful style of their cars would outlast changing fads.
This car features two types of lights, acetylene gas and oil lamps. Acetylene gas is created by a generator mounted on the running board that is divided into two sections. The lower section contains a wire basket that holds Calcium Carbide, the upper section contains water. A valve is opened on the top of the generator and water drips on the Calcium Carbide and releases acetylene gas. The gas flows through rubber tubes to the headlights. The driver lights the gas in the headlight with a match. With oil lamps, oil is carried in a small tank at the bottom of the lamp and the wick is in the oil. The wick is adjusted by a hand wheel and is lit with a match. Oil lamps are removable and can be carried to illuminate the path to the house or office.