Description

  • This was the largest and most expensive Pierce-Arrow model available in 1913.  
  • Only a few of these cars are known to exist today.
  • Pierce-Arrow was one of the leading manufacturers of luxury cars.
  • Pierce-Arrow provided cars to the White House for use of the Presidents for more than 20 years.

Story

Story

The George N. Pierce Company of Buffalo, New York, began in 1878 manufacturing birdcages, ice boxes and other household items.  In 1896, the firm progressed into bicycle-making, and by the turn-of-the-century, Pierce began experimenting with his own designs for automobiles.  In 1901, he introduced a small, light car called the Pierce Motorette powered by a De-Dion engine.  During the first production year of 1901-1902, 25 Pierce Motorettes were built.  They sold readily.  The Pierce-Arrow model was introduced in 1909, at which time the company name was changed to Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company.

Pierce-Arrow became one of the leading manufacturers of luxury automobiles. Pierce-Arrow supplied cars to the White House for the use of the Presidents for more than 20 years. They were also purchased by the royal families across the globe, as well as U.S. political officials, ambassadors, businessmen and entertainers.

The car displayed here is the largest and most expensive model available in 1913.  Only a few are known to exist today.  This 1913 car has drum headlights, but beginning later that year, Pierce-Arrow offered fender-mounted headlights that went on to become a Pierce-Arrow styling trademark.

Pierce-Arrow enjoyed successful automobile production until 1938 when the Depression forced many companies out of business.

Video

Discussion

Leave a Reply

Auto Informant has the right to edit or remove your comments if deemed inappropriate.