- Lippard-Steward only built light trucks, ½ to 2 tons, even though its name incorporated the words “Motor Car.”
- They featured a Renault-style motor layout with the radiator at the dash.
- They were “assembled” vehicles, meaning they used parts produced by other companies.
- The express body was designed for easy access to cargo.
T.R. Lippard and R.G. Stewart founded the Lippard-Stewart Motor Car Company in 1911 in Buffalo, New York. Though incorporating “Motor Car” in its name, the company intended to make trucks. Throughout its relatively short life, ending production in 1919, Lippard-Stewart built mostly light-duty trucks that featured a Renault-style motor layout with the radiator at the dash. Like most others of the day, these were basically assembled trucks, using parts available at the time. By July 1912, Mr. Lippard and Mr. Stewart had severed their ties with this company and founded yet another one, the Stewart Motor Corporation, also in Buffalo, building Stewart trucks until 1941.
Lippard-Stewart trucks had a capacity ranging from half ton to two tons, each with a different wheelbase. They used 4-cylinder Continental 30 hp engines and 3-speed gearboxes, as displayed here. The Model E was equipped with an express body, with top and side curtains. The sides of the body were strongly constructed and were fitted with well-braced flare boards. By supporting the top on four strong uprights, loading space is left open, permitting easy access to material carried. As extra equipment, an iron grill enclosing the load compartment on the sides and rear was supplied.