- The Scimitar was designed to show various uses of aluminum in cars.
- The body has removable aluminum quarter panels.
- The grille, bumpers, trim, wheel discs, and many interior treatments were made of brushed, anodized aluminum.
- Only three cars were built: two-door convertible, four-door town car and this station wagon.
Scimitars were designed and developed to suggest functional and decorative applications for the use of aluminum in automobiles. The Scimitar project was sponsored by Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation and the automobiles were designed and built by Brooks Stevens Associates and Reutter & Company.
There were three styles. A two-door Scimitar convertible was representative of the boulevard-type sports car, having a hard top that retracted automatically into the luggage area. A four-door Scimitar town car phaeton could be driven as a fully enclosed formal sedan, a town car with a partially retracted roof, or an open convertible with both roofs retracted into the luggage area. The Scimitar station sedan, as displayed here, was intended as a family all-purpose car.
The three types of cars were derived from the same basic design and tooling, and used the chassis of the 1959 Chrysler New Yorker. The body utilized removable aluminum anodized quarter panels for reduced maintenance and aesthetics. The grille, bumpers, trim, wheel discs and many interior treatments are of brushed and anodized aluminum, substantially reducing vehicle weight. The car’s name was derived from the shape of a scimitar, a saber with a curved blade.
The three Scimitar models were exhibited first at the 1959 Geneva Auto Show and then at the 1961 International Automobile Show in New York.